To Apply for Assistance

Apply for Assistance

  1. Mail us a completed application or scan it and all documentation and email it to us.
    Download the application form.
  2. We review your request, validate your information and verify your employment.
  3. We send a check to you made payable to your creditor (e.g. mortgage bank, utility company, etc.).

A person with no computer access can request help from a supervisor or a representative from Human Resources Department or Payroll Department. Many state agencies also have an application on their intranet websites, under Benefits.

You may be facing hardships that you could not have planned for nor anticipated. You may have exhausted all possibilities and feel you have no place to turn.

Because of the volume of applications from employees, priority is given to those employees who have never been assisted before. It may take EHE a couple of months to help you. A set amount of money is received and then allocated to the applicants. EHE receives a set amount of money each month. When that money is gone the applicants who did not receive help that month roll over to the next month. The checks from State Employee Charitable Campaign (SECC) arrive at the beginning of the month.

At the beginning of a new year funds do not arrive until April or May.

More about the process:


The maximum amount to be granted to an applicant is $500 (a lesser amount if it is determined appropriate). The fund may be used only once by an employee.


Any permanent status employee (off probation) and on the job who has suffered a financial hardship that could not have been planned for or anticipated is eligible to apply.


  1. Individuals who are on short-term, long-term disability, worker’s compensation, and maternity leave, FMLA, etc. These individuals can apply for assistance the first day they return to full-time work.
  2. Until further notice, funds are not available to assist applicants a second time, which means those applicants who have previously received help.
  3. The three State Universities, NAU, ASU and U of A, do not participate in the EHE Crisis Fund Program and are not eligible for assistance.
  4. Funding is not provided to applicants where their crisis request is available through other community assistance providers for which they may be eligible.
  5. Funding is not available if the applicant owes more than three (3) months on their mortgage and are in foreclosure.


The Fund is intended to pay for basic charges such as shelter and/or utilities (electric, gas, water only).


Payment will be made to the vendor (mortgage company, landlord or utility company) to whom the money is owed. The payment will be mailed to the applicant for the purpose of seeing that the vendor receives it. The employee is responsible for making certain the vendor receives payment. This includes getting a receipt of payment (especially from landlords and apartment complexes).


The decision to disburse funds will be made by EHE’s representative. The representative will recommend approval or denial of requests, which are forwarded to the Board of Directors for final review. An e-mail will be sent to the applicant that the application was received and when help may be expected. When funds arrive an e-mail will be sent to the applicant to see if help is still needed and has anything changed in the amount of the bills. EHE is experiencing a high volume of applications. It may take 2-3 months to receive assistance from the time the application is received. We can only help 3 applicants per month because of the level of our present funding.